Now that Labor Day has come and gone, you would think the weather would all of a sudden be ready for a change too. However, we all know how Mother Nature has a mind of her own. So if you’re like me and not quite ready to pack away all the summer dresses and shorts, here’s a few quick ways you can transition your summer wardrobe to fall — without breaking the bank and looking like your still on summer vacation.
1) Pack away the sandals and transition your summer time dresses and skirts with ankle boots. DV by Dolce Vita Jamison Boot, $118.95, at nordstrom.com.
2) Add a cardigan or light denim jean jacket to outfits to escape the early morning and late night chilly weather. Pima Cotton 3/4 Sleeve Cardigan, $39.50, at loft.com.
3) Add a scarf to any outfit to make it more “cold-weather” appropriate. It will also add a pop of color to neutral-toned clothes. Color Swatch Scarf, $48, at anthropologie.com.
4) Layer skirts over leggings to transition to fall weather. While leggings were also on-trend this summer, be careful not to fall into the “fashion-don’t” trap and wear them as pants. Self Expressions by Suddenly Skinny Legging, $17.99, at Target.com.
5) Your motto for the season should be this: layer, layer, layer. Adding a ruffled button-down shirt to a printed maxi dress gives the dress a softer look than just wearing the dress by itself as you do in the summer. Try layering with the Hive & Honey Poet Blouse, $49, at piperlime.com.